We’re Hiring a Shabbat Coordinator!
Mishkan is a spiritual community in Chicago, reinventing and breathing new life into Judaism.
Not bound by a particular location, we meet for inspired musical prayer, learning and holidays in synagogues, homes, event venues and other religiously unconventional spaces all around the city bringing spirit, song and celebration to places without a Jewish institutional presence. Founded just over six years ago, our work now touches the lives of thousands of people in Chicagoland and nationally.
The Shabbat Coordinator is an integral part of the Mishkan Shabbat staff. The main responsibility of this position is to help coordinate Mishkan Chicago’s Shabbat programs. These programs occur on the first Saturday morning, second Friday night and fourth or last Friday night of each month.
Responsibilities may include:
- Ordering catering for Shabbat services.
- Overseeing Shabbat catering systems and supplies.
- Purchasing Shabbat catering materials when necessary (coordinator will be provided with a purchase card).
- Overseeing the service and stocking of food at Shabbat services.
- Create and maintain relationships with food vendors.
- Labeling food with allergens and ingredients.
- Assisting in the loading in and out materials to/from the Shabbat venue.
- Assisting in the setting up and breaking down.
- Maintaining records of catering orders.
- Submit monthly expense reports of expenditures.
- Having a valid driver’s license is a plus. We have an organizational vehicle, or will reimburse for mileage and gas, if necessary
- Knowledge of Jewish holidays and Shabbat rituals a plus
- Knowledge of kashrut (kosher laws) a plus
- Knowledge of different allergens and dietary restrictions (vegan, gluten-free, etc) a plus
- Ability to lift 30 or more pounds
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to take direction and feedback
Compensation & Other Details
- The pay for this position is $20/hour, with hours ranging from 7-12 hours per week for three weeks out of each month.
- There is an opportunity to work extra hours around Jewish holiday events (Purim, Passover, High Holidays, etc).
- This person will work closely with another Shabbat employee and Mishkan staff, and will report to Ellie Spitz, Director of Engagement and Wellness at Mishkan.
Email your resume and cover letter to Ellie Spitz.