Mishkan welcomed a wonderful gift this last month. We received a $25,000 COVID-19 Response Grant and an additional $5,000 Anonymous Grant, which allowed us to distribute funds to those in and beyond our community during this trying time.
When we thought about what would make a meaningful distribution, we realized that to have the biggest impact, we needed to offer a variety of support to individuals, hospitals and healthcare workers, and vulnerable communities around Chicago.
To that end, this is the summary of our distribution to date:
- In concert with JUF JHelp Funding, distributed rent support checks to community members in need of assistance.
Hospital and Health Care Workers
- Sent meals to the staff of Center for Hispanic Elderly (Humboldt Park) and to the staff at Loretto Hospital (West side)
- Purchased gift cards for lower-wage staff at Erie Family Health Centers
- Purchased local restaurant gift cards for all 600 nurses working at Sinai Health (Southwest side)
- Donated to Community Health, an org that provides healthcare to low-income, uninsured adults, many undocumented (Ukranian Village)
Supporting Vulnerable Communities in Chicago
- Donated funds to Crossroads Fund and iPads/wi-fi to ONE Northside’s low-income grassroots organizers
- Donated grocery boxes to support Erie Family Health Center’s for low-income patients & their families
- Donated to iGrow, an org that supports community and skill-building in Englewood
We were humbled by this opportunity to help those most impacted by COVID-19, and we are proud of our efforts — but there is still so much to be done. And that’s where you come in, with our Mishkan Giving Circle. Led by Builder and former board member, Stephanie Goldfarb, this cohort will have $5,000 to fund COVID relief however they choose. As a participant, you will be asked to make a meaningful contribution to grow our initial $5,000 (whatever meaningful means for you). This group will meet virtually 5/21, 5/27, and 6/3. Helping others can be difficult to do on your own, but in the company of others it can be a great comfort! Register to join the Giving Circle here.