Accessibility and Inclusion
We are committed to creating Jewish spaces (online and in-person) where people can bring their whole selves, and be part of something larger than themselves.
Whenever possible, we prioritize venue rentals that are fully ADA accessible (curb cuts, ramps, wide doorways, wheelchair lifts, handrails, elevators, ADA bathroom stalls). For a full list of our accommodations, please see below.
JCYS Iris & Steven Podolsky Family Center Accessibility and Parking
Located at 2112 W Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL 60625
Fully accessible venue with elevator access and ADA compliant bathrooms.
- Public parking lot (Lot 48) at the address 4251 N. Lincoln
- Parking available at 4653 N. Lincoln
- Lot 70 is at the address 4731 N. Western Ave
- There is another SP+ Parking garage on Western at 4600 N. Western Ave
- There is also street parking.
Second Unitarian Accessibility and Parking
Located at 656 W Barry Ave, Chicago, IL 60657
6 steps up into the main lobby & sanctuary space. 1 full flight of stairs up into loft space.
- Illinois Masonic Parking Garage on Halsted and Wellington
- Imperial Parking and Sparkling Parking on North Broadway
- Standard Parking on N. Clark Street.
- Parking on any of the streets around the church that are labeled with the 383 permit sign is residential, but you may park free without a permit until 6 pm: Barry Ave, Briar Ave (one block north of Barry), Wellington (south of Barry).
Wilson Abbey Accessibility and Parking
Located at 935 W Wilson Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
This locaiton is fully accessible.
- Blocks from the Wilson Red Line El stop.
- There are a few public parking garages close to the venue, as well as paid street parking.
Mishkan Office Accessibility and Parking
- There are two steps at the front entrance.
- A step-free entrance can be arranged through the back of the building. Please call the main office – 773.893.0613
- Street parking is available around the office. Meter parking is available on Irving Park Rd.
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpretation at In-Person Services and Holidays
We aim to provide ASL interpretation at all in-person Shabbat services and major holidays. ASL interpretation will be noted in the event description on the website calendar. We also can provide a written version of the Rabbis’ sermons.
If you know of someone who is qualified to perform ASL services and would be interested in working with us, please contact [email protected].
Hearing Assistive Devices at Shabbat Services
Many people in our community have experienced hearing loss. We want you to have the best listening experience and not miss any spoken words during our Shabbat services. We are happy to be able to offer the use of hearing assistive devices, funded by a generous community member, to people at our Shabbat services, The system broadcasts sound to a small FM system receiver that you wear around your neck. This broadcasts what is being said or sung into body and stage mics to telecoils contained in most modern hearing aids and all cochlear implants. If you do not use hearing aids with telecoils, we also have headphones available. To access these, please check in with a volunteer or Mishkan staffer at services.
Closed Captions for Virtual Programs
Whenever possible, we prioritize the use of live closed captioning for all Shabbat and signature holidays. When we are not able to secure a live captionist, we will offer automated closed captions.
For real time captioning of break-out rooms in our virtual programs, we recommend using a service called Ava. You may want to use this service if you are deaf, or hard of hearing, if you speak English as a second language, or if you find that reading captions helps increase your comprehension of what is being said. To access AVA, please visit their website to download the app.
If you’d like some additional assistance to figure out how to utilize these captioning services, please be in touch with [email protected]. If you know of someone who is qualified to perform closed captioning services and would be interested in working with us, please contact [email protected].